I Like It. You don't? Get Your Own Blog.

I Like It. You Don't? Get Your Own Blog.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Adventures of Being a Girl

So I'm taking small steps at being a girl. My boss had this lovely beginning of summer party at his home in June and I made it a point to venture out and find a nice party dress. I never wear dresses because I never feel completely "put together" in a dress. When you don't feel completely together, you're not comfortable and when you're not comfortable you can't enjoy yourself. But this was my first, really adult, party and I wanted to do more then just throw on a simple pair of jeans and decent top, I wanted to do what adults do and go shop for something special.

After a full evening of shopping I finally found a nice cotton dress that fit pretty well except for the straps-they were a little loose. I got the dress for a delicious price and since it was a simple cotton design, I was able to shorten the straps so the fit turned out perfectly. I'm not a seamstress by any means so I don't go around cutting up fabrics or tearing hems apart, but I'm good with a needle and thread so I folded the straps down and tightly sewed the folds down so the straps were the perfect length.

The great part about this, now I have a perfect dress to take with us on our cruise as well! Double bonus!

Now, I'm getting into hair care products. I've always been a huge advocate of keeping my hair au natural. I have pin straight hair so I can't say I know what it's like to have serious hair issues. I don't have to worry about humidity or moisture so keeping my locks product free has been pretty easy throughout my life. But lately I feel like my hair is changing.

Now with the summer being as dreadful as it has been, I've started cutting back on conditioning because by the end of the day, my hair feels like it's drenched in oil. I've been told you shouldn't condition on a daily basis as it is so I started cutting back and conditioning every other day.

I haven't had a second to get a much needed hair cut so right now my hair is longer then it has ever been and it's driving me crazy. It's too hot to wear down and with this ridiculous length, it's been too much of a pain in the booty to completely blow dry. So I've taken the easy way out and just thrown it up in a messy bun or clip it up off my neck.

Recently I've been feeling a little off and wanted to get checked out before setting off on our cruise. It's nothing major, but I have health insurance so I always check on anything that might need a little looking into. So after seeing my doctor this week, he asked that I wear a heart monitor for 24 hours. This means I cannot shower for one day.

This normally isn't a big deal for me on the weekends, especially if I'm not leaving the house; but I have huge issue with going to work without being able to fully wash my hair. I've also heard over the years that you shouldn't wash your hair on a daily basis. I've always had issues with this because I just don't like the way my hair feels when I go without washing it.

I heard a long time ago about this stuff called Dry-Shampoo but I always considered it was something people who regularly style their hair would use. Perfect example, Heidi Montag of Hills fame, was the one that turned me onto this stuff. The first time I'd ever heard of this product was right here in this gem of a reality show clip:


Is it wrong that when I heard I couldn't shower, this clip was the first thing that came to mind? Specifically her line "they tore all of the labels off my dry-shampoo" boo-hoo. Just gold I tell you. Anyways, so I did a little research and apparently this stuff is getting pretty popular and can be found in a variety of product lines. I picked up the TRESemme FreshStart dry-shampoo for straight hair and a giant brush. I haven't used a brush on my hair for a really long time too so this is all a big ole step for me. I usually comb it when it's wet and then blow dry or let my hair dry naturally. Well with this dry shampoo I have to brush my hair straight, spray the product, let it sit for a minute or two, and then brush my hair out again. Supposedly this will remove all of the oils and "dirt" without having to ever wet my long locks. 

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm very skeptical because this is the kind of thing that makes me think it'll work and feel great for the first half of my day but then when 5pm rolls around, will feel just as gross as if I didn't shower at all. We'll see. If it works, I might take the professionals advice and not wash my hair every day. I'll still shower, no worries there folks, but maybe I'll try and work a little more on "being a girl" and adding some new products and routines to my life. Check back for my report, I'll also let you know what the heart monitor uncovers (though I don't think it'll uncover anything, I might just be experiencing heartburn for the first time in my life, we'll see)

No comments:

Post a Comment