I Like It. You don't? Get Your Own Blog.

I Like It. You Don't? Get Your Own Blog.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cat Lady

I'm on a mission to meet a complete stranger. Well technically I know her, but not her name, where she's from or anything about her at all really.
Let me explain...

On my commute to and from work, I've started seeing the same car on the highway almost daily. I only noticed this car because there was an accident one night and I was stuck behind this woman for an hour. I remembered her car because of the three distinct cat bumper stickers on the trunk.  I thought it was kind of funny when I saw the car for the second time and thought "hey cat lady, I remember you"

But I've seen her now both in the morning and again at night, so she and I have a similar work schedule and live in the same area it seems.

I always wondered if she ever noticed my car as well. If she drove past me and thought to herself  "theres that grey Jetta with the pirate antenna ball". And it's that thought that makes me want to wave to her every time I drive by. But that would be weird....Or would it?

Tonight on my way home, she merged right into my lane and as I had plans to make a stop at Target, I figured I'd stay behind her and see how similar our routes really were. Well, she ended up taking the exit I needed and it occurred to me, what if she had to make a stop before heading home too? What if cat lady needed to pick up something at Target just like me?

Well this got me all excited and as I'm following her through town I decided I would try and introduce myself to her should we actually end up in the same place.

I'd say, "Excuse me. Hi I'm Lizz. You don't know me but I take a similar route to work as you and see your car nearly everyday. Our routes are so similar in fact, we even shop at the same stores (point to Target, laugh awkwardly a little). I know this seems strange, but I wanted to at least introduce myself and point out my car, that grey Jetta over there, since we'll be seeing each other a lot. Or, at least, until one of us gets a new car."

Then I would hope at that point she'd put down her mace and tell me her name and maybe we could even tell one another where we worked and swap traffic stories, I don't know. I mean I'm not looking to make a new friend, but wouldn't it be kind of cool for us to see each other and think, oh there goes Lizz and oh there goes ( insert cat lady's name). Or to be stuck in traffic together again a look at each other and shrug and make one of those "I'm late" gestures with our fingers pointing at our wrists.

But it didn't happen like that. I turned into Target and she kept on down the road, I guess she didn't have to stop for anything tonight.

I hope she recognizes my car though. I think that would be kind of cool to have an unspoken connection with someone like that.

Joe's mom has a lot of those. She has a really distinct hair style and is constantly being approached by people going "Do I know you from somewhere?" "It's the hair" she always says, and it's true. Like cat lady's bumper sticker, it only takes seeing the same one thing over and over again to make an impression.

I guess I'll need to go and find a really unique bumper sticker now....

No comments:

Post a Comment