I Like It. You don't? Get Your Own Blog.

I Like It. You Don't? Get Your Own Blog.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

She Hates Me


I just watched this movie for the first time. 

I had wanted to see it since it's release a few years ago but how often do any of us get to see every movie we take an interest in right when it comes out? I don't know about you, but I don't have a lot of free time...or cash.

Well it was a wonderful film and made me think a lot about what I'm doing right now.

If you've never seen it or heard what it is about, let me share a little: 
Julia Childs is a famous chef who wrote one of the most popular cook books in the world and hosted her very own cooking show. Julie Powell was a woman who had aspirations of becoming a writer but found herself stuck in a rut. They both liked food. Both had husbands that adored them and stood by them through every endeavor.  Both worked government jobs. 

One day Julie decided to start a blog about cooking. She used Julia Childs infamous book 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' and set a goal for herself. One year to cook every dish in Julia's book. 
The movie takes you through both woman's lives as they set off on their individual life-changing journeys. Julia learned to cook in Paris and, during a never-ending search to find one blasted French cookbook written in English (didn't exist apparently), set off to create one of her very own with a friend she had met while living in France.

The movie takes you back a forth between both stories in such a way that you just hope that somehow, they meet a everything gets wrapped up in a gorgeous bow. That's not exactly how it ended, but it was a wonderful film none the less. 

Actually, I didn't care for the ending if I'm honest. That's the trouble with true stories, they don't always end covered in sparkles while the characters cry tears of joy. They're real. In fact, as the story goes, Julia apparently heard about Julie's blog and made some comment that would leave one to believe she detested the poor girl. And that's pretty much where the movie leaves you. Sure, they have a nice little closing paragraph about what had happened to everyone but they never mention whether or not the two actually met.

Now Julia was 90 years old when Julie had written the blog so who's to say they couldn't have arranged a meeting? I don't know. Call it the optimist in me, but I like seeing movies, based on true events or not, to have a happier ending then this one. I mean yes I'm happy each woman found joy in what they ended up becoming successful for-but dammit-why couldn't they have met?!

Now, I'm no writer and I certainly do not know how to cook. Sure I like to talk and enjoy food, but I don't have the chops to make a career out of either one... I really just liked the story because it was about determination and finding the positive for every negative.

I never worked for the government but I do have a very supportive boyfriend (whom I just hung up on so I could finish this-sorry Joe) and I did start this blog after being inspired by another, quite successful, blogger I follow; and I'm not in a rut finally beginning to pull myself out of a what was shaping up to be a very immense rut, so I guess you could say I saw a little bit of myself in those women on screen. 

I feel like I should say something more about all of this but I really don't know how to continue this posting. I was inspired to write about things I like through reading someone's else's blog about things she liked. The end really. 

I don't know if anyone aside from my 6 followers pays any attention (and who even knows if they do!) to this page. There are so many blogs out there it's quite easy to be overlooked. But write on I must because there is just too many wonderful and inspiring things in this world that go unnoticed. And even if this blog is set for the same fate, at least I can use it as a means of tipping my hat to those fantastical things that I feel deserve a little praise and thanks. 

So, Jen of Epbot.com, thanks. Just for being you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment